There are three types of adult:
- Those who have children.
- Those who don’t have children and don’t want them (either yet or ever).
- Those who don’t have children and do want them but can’t have them.
And none of the above – repeat, NONE of the above – wants to hear how besotted you are with your children.
This is because:
- Type 1 already knows. Believe it or not, they feel the same about their own children.
- Type 2 couldn’t be less interested.
- Type 3 finds it upsetting.
Resist the urge to educate the world on the joys of parenthood. Honestly, no one wants to hear it.
Here’s a quote from Gwyneth Paltrow:
‘I think what surprised me the most about motherhood, as sentimental as it sounds, is how much I love my kids. I mean, I just can’t believe it. It’s like a whole new dimension in emotion that I’ve never experienced. It’s crazy.’
I rest my case.